Birthdays are such a special time to recognize those that we love. This week we had a birthday party for one of the co-student teachers in our class. The children were so excited and happy to participate in creating birthday card, eating cake and cookies and being involved in a balloon game. One of the children was not having a good day though. He has been acting out lately and just not being himself. Today he came up and tore down the decorations for the party and walked away. This hurt, especially after all the effort that was put into creating such a fun party. But instead of freaking out and yelling at him, I was forced to stay calm, breathe, and kindly ask him if he was okay and why he did that. Unfortunately he didn't have an answer, but later in our group debrief i found out he has been struggling in school and home and its taken a tole on him.
I learned a lesson today. No matter what someone does to you, you never know what they are going through. I was so happy I was kind to him and still loved him after such a rude act. Make it a goal to be the better person, to love those that do you wrong, and especially don't forget to have patience with your children.
No comments:
Post a Comment