Saturday, February 11, 2017

Patience is a Virtue

I found a common theme in working with children this week. That theme was patience. I found it to truly be a virtue given from on high. There were times that I simply couldn't do it anymore... but I felt an extra push from within. The children I work with have very hard homes and for all their needs and disabilities- I'm afraid to say- they don't receive patience and love at home. So I really focused on being the difference in their lives. As an example of this, I thought of a pile of rocks. While they may be surrounded by water and sand, constantly hitting them and changing the environment around them, they are able to stand still and keep steady because of each rock under them supporting them and holding them steady. How was I to become that rock in their lives?- I asked myself. So I began to focus on the why?- Why did I want to be that for them? Through my diligence, and observation of the situations when I needed patience the most,  I found the how.
With all things, we need a purpose to why we do what we do. That purpose will grow strength in our heart and also a spirit of determination that will uphold us against any hard day. That is when we begin to develop patience. The true virtue of patience comes with time and a lot of practice.


Image result for patience teacher

Fluency Disorder (stuttering): I actually grew up with a brother that had a stuttering disorder. Although it only happened when he was excited, or nervous. I really got to see his point of view this week while i had to go to stores and speak as though i had one. People had to be so patient with me, i had to be patient with myself and speak slowly enough to get things out so people understood. I truly am so grateful for the ability to speak. And i am so thankful for the patience of those around me. I hope those with true disorders receive the same kind of love and patience.

No comments:

Post a Comment